Hazelhill Family Practice will once again be providing flu vaccine clinics from 11th October.
Any patients who wish to book a vaccine appointment with us in Ballyhaunis should contact us through the website, by email or by phone.
How the flu vaccine works
The vaccine works by protecting against 4 strains of the flu virus. These are the most likely to be circulating this flu season.
Anyone who needs a vaccine should get a new one every autumn. Strains of flu change over time and that is why is it also known as seasonal flu.
The vaccine works by helping your immune system to produce antibodies. If you have had the vaccine and you come into contact with the flu virus, the vaccine can stop you from getting sick.
The vaccine starts to work within 2 weeks.
As the antibodies that protect you decline over time, this is another reason why you need to get a fresh dose of the vaccine every year.
It should be noted that the flu vaccine does not protect against Covid-19. It is safe to get both the Covid-19 vaccine and the flu vaccine separately.
Who should get the flu vaccine?
Some people are more at risk of complications if they catch the flu.
To help those most at risk, the vaccine is available for free to the following groups:
- If you are 65 years of age or over
- If you are pregnant
- Children aged 2 to 17
- Those with long term health conditions. This includes chronic heart disease, chronic live disease, chronic respiratory disease, cystic fibrosis, moderate or severe asthma and diabetes.
- Those who are morbidly obese (ie have a body mass index (BMI) over 40)
- Those who have immunosuppression.
- Children on long term aspirin therapy.
- Those with Down syndrome.
- Those who living in a nursing home or long term care facility.
- Household contacts or carers of those with underlying chronic conditions or Down syndrome.
- Those who work in healthcare.
- People who are in regular contact with pigs, poultry or waterfowl.
Further information on the flu vaccine is available from the HSE here>>>
How do I make an appointment at Hazelhill Family Practice?
To book your flu vaccination consultation at Hazelhill Family Practice click here.
You can also call the Hazelhill Family Practice on 094 9630091/ 094 9632170.
Hazelhill Family Practice is a GP/ Doctor practice based in Ballyhaunis.